Training: Becoming an EMDR Specialist.
EMDR is an advanced psychotherapy requiring a high level of skill. A mental health clinical background is an essential prerequisite for the effective application of EMDR treatment. All accredited EMDR training providers will expect you to provide evidence that you are accredited by one of the professional associations deemed acceptable by EMDR Europe.
Attendance at Richman EMDR Training workshops is limited to:
Registered Mental Health Nurses (NMC) and Registered Social Workers who:
· Have mental health training, can recognise and assess common mental health problems and have experience of working in a mental health setting, and
· Have training and a minimum of two years’ experience of providing one-to-one psychotherapy, either as part of their professional training or in addition to it, and
· Have provided a reference from their clinical supervisor confirming the above.
Psychiatrists (Consultant Psychiatrist, StR/SpR Psychiatry):
- MRCPsych or equivalent (including Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training in any psychiatric
- Alternatively: a) Complete both long and short psychotherapy cases (and)
b) Equivalent of three years full time psychiatric experience (and)
c) Letter confirming above from line manager and sent to EMDR Training Provider
MUST hold full accreditation by one of the following professional bodies:
Registered with the General Medical Council (GMC) who are experienced in psychotherapy and psychological trauma and are accredited counsellors or psychotherapists or working towards a psychotherapy accreditation.
Clinical & Counselling Psychologists:
In their final year of training are acceptable with a letter of recommendation from their clinical supervisor.
Art Psychotherapists and Occupational Therapists who:
Mental Health Professionals from countries outside of the UK and Ireland:
Are requested to submit a letter from their national EMDR Association agreeing to them undertaking their training in the UK and that they fulfil the eligibility criteria for their country of origin.
Applicants from countries with no national EMDR Association are scrutinised on a case-by-case basis. They need to follow EMDR Association UK eligibility criteria broadly i.e. a mental health professional who is accredited/registered with a governing body in their own country.
In either case, external applicants will not be eligible to practice in the UK unless they also meet the UK eligibility criteria above.